The church of Saint Nikola in Požarevac is an endowment of Reverent father Petar Šljivić (1818-1902) the vicar of Trnjani and his wife Jelena.
Petar Šljivić was a son of Ram duke Živko Šljivić. In the year 1890, he erected a family chapel in a part of Požarevac named Bugar mala. The project was designed by an architect Svetozar Ivačković in the Hansen style. Ivačković was the first Serbian student to Teofil Hansen in Vienna and was considered the most significant architect in the field of church architecture up till the beginning of the First World War. He was leading younger architects with an inclination to create national style in the church architecture.
The church has a single dome, with a Greek cross base shape. Above the crossing rises the dome with octagonal elongated dome drum on a square stand. As it was designed to be a family chapel, it has two floors – a crypt and a temple. Spatially the temple is divided into a nave and altar. The cubic appearance of the building is accentuated with architectural design of masses. Initially the facades were created in Hansen style of polychromy by the combination of beige and terracotta façade brick lay alternately in horizontal fields, yet today all bricks are colored in red. The decorative plastic on the facades is reduced to windows. There are huge arched two ligth windows on the east, north and south facade, and an round window with rosette above the entrance on the west façade. All four gable walls have a stone cross at the top. Initially there was a wooden bell tower near the church, replaced with built bell tower later.
The iconostasis belongs to the type of low altar partitions. It is designed as a wood carving bearing fifteen icons divided in two zones. The icons are the work of an academic painter Andrei Bicenko back in the 30s of XX century.