The church of Holy Ascension in Petrovac na Mlavi was built in the period between 1866 and 1869 with great efforts of the Parish and the locals considering the fact that this was a condition for then village Petrovac to be proclaimed a town.
It was designed in Romantic historicism style. It is a single – nave base building with an altar apse in the east, side choir apses and a bell tower in the west. Spatially it is divided into a single altar space, a nave with polygonal choirs and a narthex with a gallery above which there is a bell tower. The façade decoration features with architectural elements in a form of roof and pitch garland, blind arcades frieze, pilasters and red brick details which follow arched endings of straight and blind single lancet windows and oculus with their shape. A special attention is paid to the west façade design with an accentuated portal, two blind single lancet windows, one oculus and a bell tower at the top.
A very valuable painting unit is an iconostasis partition design in Classicist style with a Baroque – rococo gilded decoration application. Its icons were painted by Nastas Stefanović during the eighth decade of XIX century. As we find from the inscription on a gallery garden plaque, the fresco – painting was done by Nikodim Brkić – deacon and painter from Belgrade, and the calligraphy was done M. Janković in 1954.
The church keeps valuable examples of icons, liturgical books and plates as well as pieces of church movables.