The church of Holy Mother’s Ascension in Oreovica was built in 1821 by Stevan Marković, a merchant from Oreovica; today this house is the oldest sacral object in the area. He built it on his own property not far away from the village cemetery, thus it has a dominant position on a hill above the village.
The old Oreovica church is an object of a popular architecture. It is of an extended and single – nave base with a spacious polygonal altar apse in the east and a porch in the west. It was built as a chatam house, without foundations with a wooden oak joist directly placed into the ground. The interior is divided into an altar, a nave and a narthex. The walls are plastered with mud mortar from the outside and inside and whitewashed. According to the 1860 description, the church was covered with tile and had a thin brick floor. Today, the roof is covered with reclaimed roof tile, while the altar floor is covered with old brick and nave and narthex floor is covered with board. The wooden partition that was dividing the narthex from the nave has recently been removed, so this space has become unique but with visible wooden structural pillars. The altar and nave are arched with a barrel vault made of profiled “shashovac”, while a flat ceiling was lowered over the narthex. In the center of the ceiling there is a decorative rosette on the porch.
The altar is divided from the nave with a low altar partition and twenty – five icons arranged in three zones. The original icons from the time of church building are not preserved, and the existing ones date from 1857 according to donors’ inscriptions on throne icons and Doors.
In the church port, among old oaks, there are tombstones from the first half and mid XIX century, as well as an old parish house from the time of the church construction. The regional Institute performed 1985/6 restoration works on the old house where an ethnographic collection with exhibits from this area was set.