Gornjak monastery is an endowment of knez Lazar from between 1376 and 1380. It was built up on the slope of Ježevica Mountain on the left river bank of the Mlava, near the Petrovac - Žagubica road. According to the charter of knez Lazar from 1378 and the charter of Serbian Patriarch Spiridon from 1379 which were kept in the monastery until the Second World War, besides the familiar data on the donor and the construction date, there is also information on the first monastery abbot Grigorije Sinaite.
AT the Gornjak gorge entrance there is a monastery complex which consists of a church of Holy Presentation, cave chapel of Grigorije Sinaite and residences. By its architecture the church belongs to Morava group of single – dome churches with a simple triconchal base and a narthex with additionally built bell tower and a porch by the south and west façade. Above the crossing there is a dome on an octagonal dome ring and a square stand. It was built of crushed stone and the roof cover is lead, placed back instead of the tile during the restoration works on the church during the 80s of XX century. It was brought down and rebuilt for several times, so its fresco – painting occurrence dates back to the end of XVIII century; after the church had been restored in 1847 the fresco – painting was repainted by Živko Pavlović – Moler. The iconostasis is from 1937 and is the work of fresco – painting school of Rakovica Monastery. It is known that until the Second World War the monastery treasury kept founding charters, Emperor Dušan’s gonfalon and knez Lazar’s goblet.
In the rock above the altar apse there is a cave anchoress church of Grigorije Sinaite from XIV century. The anchoress church consists of two parts – a cell where the sinaite was dwelling and Saint Nicola’s chapel, where he was buried. The chapel keeps fresco – painting fragments dated back to the end of XIV or XV century. Grigorije Sinaite Junior is one of the hermits whowere running away from the Turks and found a refuge in Morava Serbia. Upon his arrival from Sinai – one of the oldest and most significant spiritual centers of Christianity, they enriched religious and culture life of Serbia at the end of XIV century and left behind a deep and memorable trace.