The Monument of Culture (1982)
The Church of Saint Archangels Michael and Gabriel - popularly known as Zaova – was brought down and rebuilt for a number of times during its history. The exact time of its construction and the names of its donors has not been stated to this day. It is assumed that it dates back to XVI or XVII century although many tend to relate its building date with squires Radul and Pavle Radić according to a legend about lady Jelica’s sad destiny, described in a poem “God never orders what He can’t pay for”. The church is located in the Zaovinska woods surrounding, in the village Toponica area, not far away from the highway Požarevac – Petrovac.
It is designed as a single – nave building, with a semicircular altar apse in the east and side conchal choirs. It is spatially divided into an altar and a nave, while the west aisle serves as a nathex. It is built of stone with cuboid Tufa stone finishing. Façade decoration is featured with horizontal zone division. A profiled cordon garland created a field with numerous blind arched niches in the north, south and west façade, whereas the roof garland is made of serrated line of tiles. On the apses underneath the roof garland there is a blind arcades frieze with stylized Saracen arch. A special attention is paid to the stone portals treatment on the south and west façade.
Fresco – painting and icons on the iconostasis partition were painted by Živko Pavlović in 1849, a witness of which is an inscription on the south nathex wall. A tall iconostasis with 45 icons arranged in six zones has recently been replaced with a new, low partition which holds only a partial number of old icons, while the others were transferred to Metropolitan Court in Požarevac.
To the south of the church there are a bell tower built in the 30s of XX century and a monument to the fallen soldiers in Serbia Libereation Wars 1912-1918. In its vicinity there are two mineral springs and a small artificial lake.