Ram fortress is located at the point where the Danube flow turns north and makes a big curving, bypassing an almost 20m rocky cliff. Extremely favorable natural conditions for river crossing have attracted people since the Prehistory to form their settlements and forts so as to control and use this strategically important position.
Fortifications on the left and right river bank of the Danube were formed in the Antique and Early Byzantine time, and historical sources differently locate Lidereata fort. A similar dilemma occurs with the start of XII century when toponyms ”Hram” or ”Haram” occur, and the position of the fort is related to the right or left Danube river bank. Almost in the center of today’s settlement, on a rock above the Danube river a Turkish sultan Bajazit built a fortress in 1483 in order to protect north borders of the Turkish Empire from Serbian and Hungarian troops attack.
The fortress dimensions are not big (25 х 35m in base), but owing to the position, it is protected from the west side with a cliff and from the other three sides with a dry trench and double ramparts. Five cannon towers made it a very strong fort. Inside, the Fortress seemed not to have any bigger residential objects, and the soldiers groups were located in the towers, a witness of which are furnaces on the upper floors. The inhabitants lived out of the fortress in the lower town formed to the east and south from the fort, which hasn’t been explored yet and the only visible objects are caravanserai and a Turkish bath. Ram fortress represents a specific accomplishment of military architecture, which despite being extremely artillery-like with three – storey towers each with three cannon holes on each storey and one on each wall surface, has many old Byzantine architectural solutions. Its importance decreased after Mohač battle in 1526 and border dislocation towards Buda and Vienna. The last period it was used was in the time of Kočina krajina (1788) when one tower got completely destroyed.
Archeologically, it is insufficiently explored in order for the older phases to be stated, which are undeniable regarding the position and visible traces of the Roman road and a plaque with an inscription.