In the sense of area duration which is through time constantly inhabited by people, the continuity of Veliko Gradište existence can be traced back to the time of antique Pincum, Roman Catrum and a settlement located at the confluence of The Pek and the Danube rivers. Regarding the time that would follow, on the west rim of the area within antique Pincum, during the Middle Ages and the new century a Slav settlement was growing – Veliko Gradište of the present.
The key to development and spatial core of urban concept of Old Bazaar which represents the core of Veliko Gradište progress is historically inherited road connection – today’s Kneza Lazara Street. This road line was vitally important for the town and was stretching in the southwest – northeast direction and was connecting two points, both very important for the economy of Gradište of that time. In the northeast, in the vicinity of the Danube and its port there was a great Grain square where people traded with grains and in the southwest there was a Livestock square – today's M. Miloradovića square where people traded livestock. By the end of XIX century due to the trade flourishing and abrupt economical development owing to favorable geostrategical position, Veliko Gradište as a borderline place gained a role of a significant commercial center and a great exporting port. In this period of the year 1841, Franz Janke created the first urban plan of Veliko Gradište - “Old and New Bazaar Plan”. By the end of the second half of XIX century, in the area between two markets – today’s Kneza Lazara Street – the process of forming the then ”Old Bazaar” as a trading – commercial town center was completed. On both street sides which now had a role of spatial core of the urban matrix in the system of regular shapes of thickly arrayed land parcels, a residential – business facilities street line was built. Unlike the ”Old Bazaar” which preserved its spatial structure and purpose through time, the Livestock and Grain square suffered the process of urban transformation due to accelerated development and new objects construction. Thus, former markets in the right sense of the word now became complex urban structures of residential – business type (Livestock square) and administrative type (Grain square). Hence, objects of great importance for Gradište of that time were built on Grain square. In the place of Old church, a new one – Saint Archangel Gabriel – was built in 1852. Not long after, in the second half of XIX century and the beginning of XX century, District Office, primary school, Grammar school,”Old cinema”, pharmacy (Sava Ž. Obradović endowment), the Stojadinović family house, and not far from the square - almost on the very river bank of the Danube – the Customs building – were constructed.
By their nature and essence, these three buildings are mutually different urban structures. M. Miloradovića square, Kneza Lazara Street and Grain square belong to the same group in spatial terms, simultaneously accomplishing full balance between urban structures of different structure and architectural values as a higher order ratio.