Not far away from a village Bela Crkva cited in Byzantine sources in XI century, the Turks built a wooden fort – palanka in 1532. The designer of this fort was Timisoara beglerbeg Hasan Pasha, after whom this settlement later got the name Hasan Pasha’s Palanka. In the center of today’s Smederevska Palanka which got this name between the two World Wars, the building of the Šišković family was constructed near by Hasan Pasha’s residence, probably in the period between 1855 and 1860. Around 1868, immediately after the construction was finished, this edifice was adapted for the needs of District Office seat.
The building has almost a square base with a very representative exterior and interior architecture of that time. It consists of a ground floor, an upper floor and a garret adapted into an attic. It is designed in a massive construction system and eatures with a cubic form. It was built of brick and mortar. The mezzanine construction is designed in a form of barrel vaults, while the roof construction is wooden. A four – sloped roof is today covered with reclaimed roof tiles. The architecture and geometrie applied in shaping hte facade are based on consistency in following the full symmetry principle on the street facade; this principle is particularly accentuated by forming a narrow central avant – corps which, together with arched vaulted holes represents the main artistic street facade dominant. The building facade artistry is based in ground principles of Academism. Once supposedly in Classicism style, originally designed decorative facade plastic is almost entirely lost today. The ground and upper floor facade surfaces are united in one plane, and between the holes there is an additionally profiling close to Secession.
During time the building suffered a couple of changes, mostly in the period between 1917 and 1918, and between 1969 and 1970, when adaptation for the needs of museum settling – in was made.